How Can We Help?
KB articles focusing on current problems and critical resolutions.
- Show all articles ( 7 ) Collapse Articles
Support topics related to Office365, and Microsoft Products
- Show all articles ( 1 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 26 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 37 ) Collapse Articles
Login support for all SIU accounts.
Access to SIU's VPN, Remote Desktop Access, and Virtual Desktop Instances.
- Show all articles ( 4 ) Collapse Articles
WiFi and Internet
Network and Internet connectivity issues, for SIU supported networks and off-campus SIU device connectivity.
- Show all articles ( 8 ) Collapse Articles
SIU Digital Services
Support for online resources, such as MoveIT, HRSS, SalukiNet, and more.
- Show all articles ( 2 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 6 ) Collapse Articles
General SIU Computer Topics
- Show all articles ( 20 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 11 ) Collapse Articles
Mobile Device Support
A collection of topics for mobile devices like phones and tablets.
- Show all articles ( 5 ) Collapse Articles
How to print on the Carbondale campus including mobile printing resources and from SIU equipment.
Support for SIU distributed software offerings.
- Show all articles ( 27 ) Collapse Articles
Software Center for Windows
4.5 out Of 5 Stars
Software for SIU-owned Windows PCs may be delivered thru Software Center for self-service installation. The experience is similar to a mobile app store: browse the software catalog, select the software, then wait for the software to download and install.
Download and install time varies from minutes for small installs (like Acrobat Pro, EndNote, and SPSS) to hours for large installs (like Autodesk, MATLAB, and SAS). Most installation errors are due to:
1. pending system restarts for Windows Update installations
2. install attempts by remote workers while not signed into SIU VPN
3. conflicts with other running applications that need to be closed
4. insufficient disk space
5. loss of power or network connectivity (computer goes to sleep, unstable WiFi connections, etc.)
1. Remote Workers: If working remotely or from a secure campus network, sign into SIU VPN. See SIU VPN Guide for more information.
2. Conflicting Applications: Before installing, close all running applications, especially any Adobe apps (like Acrobat) and Microsoft Office apps (like Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
3. Software Center: Open the Software Center app from the Microsoft Search bar or the Start menu.
4. Software Catalog: At the Applications tab, click the application.
5. Application Details: Click Install.
6. Installation Progress: Note any installer windows that appear, especially error messages and warnings.
7. Installation Status: Upon successful installation, the Status changes to Installed and the Install button changes to Reinstall or Uninstall.
1. If working remotely or from a secure campus network, sign into SIU VPN. See SIU VPN Guide for more information.
2. Before installing, close all running applications, especially any Adobe apps (like Acrobat) and Microsoft Office apps (like Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
3. Note the amount of free drive space on the C: drive.
4. If a WiFi connection is slow or unstable, switch to a wired network connection and try again.
5. If a remote network connection is slow or unstable, bring the computer to campus and try again.
6. Software Center is not immediately available upon computer start up. Wait at least 5 minutes after the computer restarts, then open Software Center.
7. Software Center does not immediately refresh upon connecting to the campus network, especially for computers that have been offline or off campus for extended periods.
4.5 out Of 5 Stars